CALL FOR REGULAR CONTRIBUTORS
The Trawler.org is an opinion news curator website. We strive to champion journalism guided by the ideals cemented in our Guiding Principles. While we attempt to be independent, we are not afraid to showcase strong views, fully aware that a completely unbiased perspective does not and should not exist. Ultimately, The Trawler.org will be a place where readers come to view and respond to the most thoughtful, honest voices making sense of the news each day. In a time when polemics and partisanship so often replace considered discourse, the Trawler.org aims to assist readers who seek help interpreting current events in an independent and meaningful way.
We are seeking to create a balanced roster of regular contributors consisting of both emerging and experienced voices (graduate students, professors, retired MPs/civil servants) with expertise in these areas:
Business & Finance
N.B: Candidates with expertise in areas other than those mentioned above are also encouraged to apply.
Our contributors are the face of the Trawler.org and, as such, shape and define the Trawler.org from the ground up. We are looking for individuals committed to applying their skills and knowledge in the service of a better public discourse. Our contributors form a diverse team where values like informed debate, thoughtfulness and global awareness bind us together. Members of the Trawler team become experts on the media landscape in their area; we look forward to your reputation as an expert growing alongside our project.
Contributors are responsible to
- Research and discern the most important voices in Canadian newsprint opinion journalism, maintaining variety in political position while prioritizing high journalistic standards
- Monitor the writing of those chosen columnists and post regularly on their pieces
- Develop a list of monitored journalists, staying abreast of new published voices continually
- Maintain a live database of Canadian opinion news journalists, to culminate in a detailed picture of the best voices in Canadian media
- Expertise and/or professional experience in one or more area of pertinence to Canadian news
- Ability to articulate local, global and historical implications of newsworthy developments in your area
- Ability to see through rhetoric and punditry to discern real information
- Knowledge of Canadian daily newspapers and journalism practices
- Commitment to the Trawler.org Guiding Principles
- Ability to comprehend, synthesize and summarize large amounts of information quickly and succinctly
- Facility with internet research, blogging tools such as Wordpress and social media platforms an asset
- Strong organizational skills: self-driven
Salary: Possibility of future remuneration dependent on the development of the project.
Time commitment: suggested 10 hours/week
If you feel you do not fit all of the requirements or the criteria but feel passionate about the project and able to contribute, we are happy to hear from you.
Apply Online by June 30th