Deadline for Application: August 1, 2012
The Fulbright Visiting Research Chairs enable promising and prominent American scholars, as well as experienced professionals to conduct research, develop collaborations, guest lecture and/or teach at select Canadian universities and research centres, normally for one semester, though this may be extended to a full academic year. In addition, successful candidates will have the opportunity to deliver public lectures, give seminar presentations, participate in conferences and otherwise contribute to ongoing research activities at their host institution. Applicants must have received a Ph.D. or equivalent professional/terminal degree by December 31, 2012 or have equivalent professional experience.
Provisions for Fulbright Visiting Chair awards are particular to each institution, though normally carry a value of US$25,000 for one semester. Basic health insurance is also provided, along with visa services and on campus support. Enrichment opportunities are available through the Fulbright Mobility Initiative in Canada and the Occasional Lecturers Program in the United States. Faculty sabbatical, leave-of-absence, or retirement pay may be used concurrently with Fulbright support.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be an American citizen at the time of application (permanent resident status or landed immigrant status are not sufficient)
- Have obtained a Ph.D. or equivalent professional/terminal degree by December 31, 2012 or have equivalent professional experience
- Demonstrate appropriate language proficiency (English and/or French, corresponding to the language of instruction at your intended host institution)
You are not eligible for a Canada-U.S. Fulbright Award if:
- You currently hold permanent residency status in Canada
- You are currently residing in Canada
- You have resided abroad for five or more consecutive years in the six year period immediately preceding the date of application
-You have received a Fulbright Award within the last five years
-You have received two previous Fulbright Scholar Awards
- You are an American applicant and you are a dual citizen of Canada and the United States
Application forms can be found at: http://www.cies.org/us_scholars/us_awards/