RefWorks Project Update
Here is an update on the RefWorks Project.
I made changes—major and minor—to the instructions for ABC-Clio, Elsevier, Ebscohost,
PubMed, Sage Journals Online, and Gale.
There are urgent problems with the import instructions for:
• Elsevier: There is NO option to choose "Elsevier" as the Import Filter/Data Source—only
"Science Direct (RIS Format). Select either Science Direct Navigator or Multiple
Databases in Database box.
• PubMed: Choose "NLM Pubmed" in "Import Filter/Data Source". There is no simple
"Pubmed," which is confusing. (You can also choose "University of Winnipeg" here and then "Pubmed" in the Database section.)
• BioOne: After saving or copying the contents of the text file, open reference, import,
and choose "Refworks Tagged Format" for Import filter/Data Source. There is NO option to choose "BioOne" as Import Filter (as the Import instructions indicate: I don't know how to get to these instructions). "Tagged Format" comes up for "Database." Import. I do not know where to go to edit Import instructions.
I have added the following vendors to the Add Vendor Help list: LexisNexis, ACM Digital
Library, ADS, American Chemical Society Web Editions, Annual Reviews, and AnthroSource. I
added Exporting instructions for these, and, if Import was not automatic, included importing instructions. However, all of these instructions show up only in the "Add Vendor Help" editing pages. I do not know where to go to link to this information so that patrons can see it, or to change the links from "other" to the new vendors added above.
I do not know what "Active" means in the Add Vendor Help list and have thus not tampered with it (and have left it at the default "no" for the new vendor additions).
There is a problem with CAS and its database, SciFinder. The SciFinder database and its
tutorial are inaccessible (the links go nowhere). CAS is listed twice in the Add Vendor
list: once as active, once as not.
ProQuest worked just fine.
JSOTR – Worked well also but I took out ‘pull down menu’ command as it was not necessary due to button to directly export citations into RefWorks.
OCLC – Worked well also.
Elsevier (Science Direct) – Directions in the notes said there was no direct export, however, there is a link and clear instructions to carry out a direct export into RefWorks from the Science Direct DB. However, I still could not make it work. I did not change any of the existing directions on the vendor page.
ISI – Tried to follow instructions listed, could not make it work. Tried several other things to try to get it to work and could not. I did not change any of the existing directions on the vendor page.
ABC-CLIO – could not figure out which database this was
Cambridge Scientific Abstracts – could not find
ProjectMuse – worked just fine.
SAGE Journals Online – tried and tried to make this one work…for some reason could not. Did not change any existing directions on the vendor page.
We have completed updating the instructions for RefWorks through the
vendor pages where we could. There were few changes to be made on each sheet but
changes included removing some instructions that were no longer
necessary due to simplification of the exporting process, i.e. adding
'direct export to ref works' buttons.
We are still working on the 'viewlets', ensuring that they are correct.
We welcome any contribution to the notes listed above.
Thanks very much,
Heather and Cathy